When it comes to coffee appreciation, there is little that beats a genuine bean to cup process. Especially when it starts with roasting your own beans.
With our Coffee Appreciation course in Melbourne, you will gain the skills necessary to roast your own coffee. But you will also be given a chance to create your own signature blend.
What You Will Learn
- Theory behind roasting coffee beans, along with an understanding of the chemical changes the beans undergo during the roasting process.
- How to operate and maintain the roasting equipment.
- Understanding how the origin of different coffee beans influence flavour.
- Steps involved in selecting green coffee beans.
- How to recognise mistakes made during roasting.
- Techniques used for blending coffee.
Each participant will have the chance to select green coffee beans from our range of coffees and then roast them perfectly. This is followed by another hands-on session in which you will use five different techniques to make the same coffee: traditional espresso, drip coffee, pour-over, French press, and Turkish style.
Coffee School by CHT usually uses competency-based assessments through which you demonstrate that your acquired skills and knowledge meet nationally recognised standards. However, since this is a non-accredited course, there is no assessment.
Three hours. This is an in-person course at our Melbourne training facilities.
We limit the number of learners in our Coffee Appreciation course. This allows each participant to enjoy a comprehensive, hands-on experience.
This is a non-accredited course, so participants only receive a Certificate of Participation once they have completed the course.
Entrance Requirements / Pre-requisites
There are no pre-requisites for this course. However, at course start date, learners must at least 16 years old.
How to Enrol
Enrolment for our Coffee Appreciation course involves four simple steps:
- Choose a date from the course timetable.
- Fill in your personal details in the space provided.
- Pay for the course using a credit or debit card.
- Wait for an email confirming your booking, and then complete the full enrolment form. This form must be completed before your course starts.
Fees and Government Funding
|Tuition Fees (GST Exempt)
Being a non-accredited course, no Government funding is available for our Coffee Appreciation course. Barista Coffee is included in the Government funded* Certificate IV in Hospitality (SIT40416), and Australian citizens and permanent residents could be eligible for this course.
Certificate IV in Hospitality is a nationally recognised qualification which includes
- Barista Coffee
- Food Handling and Food Safety Supervisor
- Leadership and Management
- Responsible Service of Alcohol
- Waiting Skills
*This training is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding.